By: Spacelab Research Staff
Combining a force at least ten times better than just one Ken, Toronto's Ten Kens have signed on with the UK-based experimental label FatCat Records.
Sounding like a detached voice lost in the collective unconsciousness, their music comes from a desolate spot with a driving sort of tribalism. The boys Dean Tzenos (guitar), Dan Workman (vocals), Lee Stringle (bass), Ryan Roantree (drums) started as the dynamic duo of Dan and Dean writing songs, eventually growing to 4. Not a single Ken in the whole bunch. How strangely complex of them! Are you intrigued? Read on!
With comparisons to the likes of Liars, Black Mountain, Black Heart Procession and Arcade Fire, their label FatCat calls them a "volatile mix of bittersweet melody and spiked alt-rock, their sound is by turns introspective and belligerent, shot through with a pensive air and a contrary swagger, relayed via cavernous reverb." You see? Complex.
They also have 10 things they want you to know, as posted on their MySpace. This band writes content so you don't have to! I dig them already.
1) TEN KENS have signed with FatCat Records UK (Sigur Ros, Animal Collective, Panda Bear...)
2) TEN KENS recorded their debut album at Breakglass Studios, Montreal (Besnard Lakes, Wolf Parade, Sunset Rubdown...)
3) The album was engineered/produced by Colin Stewart (Black Mountain, Destroyer, Pretty Girls Make Graves...)
4) The album is scheduled for a full world-wide release June 2, 2008.
5) Currently playing shows non-stop in and around Toronto, TEN KENS are set to widen their remit for the release of the album, with US and European tours currently in the planning stages.
6) There are FOUR members of TEN KENS.
7) TEN KENS loves you very very much.
8) TEN KENS actually only had 7 things you needed to know.