By: Spacelab Research Staff
After a series of singles, the Decemberists are ready to bounce back with a complete album in 2009, titled The Hazards of Love. The album took four months to record, and the band had an unbelievable sequence of events happen during that time.
"Four tumultuous months passed in the creation of the record, during which a new president was selected, 3 people associated with the band were married, birthdays too numerous to recount were celebrated and many tasty asada tacos from two of the vast array of taco trucks in the greater Portland east-side were consumed," said the band in an announcement.
There are a host of guest appearances on the album, including Shara Worden (My Brightest Diamond), Robyn Hitchcock, Jim James (My Morning Jacket ), Rebecca Gates (the Spinanes), and Becky Stark (Lavendar Diamond).
“I wanted to have different voices singing different songs, so it would be like a fake musical,” singer Colin Meloy recently told Rolling Stone. "Everyone’s going to call it a rock opera. I’ve just got to come around to that.”
Everyone's doing operas these days, it's the new thing for everyone to copy each other on. Just ask The Knife.
The Hazards of Love will be released on Capitol Records on March 24th. It will be the Decemberists' fifth album.
2. The Hazards of Love 1 (The Prettiest Whistles Won't Wrestle the Thistles Undone)
3. A Bower Scene
4. Won't Want for Love (Margaret in the Taiga)
5. The Hazards of Love 2 (Wager All)
6. The Queen's Approach
7. Isn't it a Lovely Night?
8. The Wanting Comes in Waves / Repaid
9. An Interlude
10. The Rake's Song
11. The Abduction of Margaret
12. The Queen's Rebuke / The Crossing
13. Annan Water
14. Margaret in Captivity
15. The Hazards of Love 3 (Revenge!)
16. The Wanting Comes in Waves (Reprise)
17. The Hazards of Love 4 (The Drowned)